Electrician Apprenticeship Program
School of Manufacturing & Automation
At the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT), we are the shapers. The makers. The originals, driven by a passion for excellence and impact. We offer action-based learning, solution-focused research and enterprising collaborations with partners from around the world. We are a global leader in applied education, an Alberta Top Employer and a destination workplace for people empowered to make a difference in the lives of students. Now is an exciting time to join this one-of-a-kind place…SAIT.
The School of Manufacturing and Automation provides skills and leadership training to meet the requirements of Alberta's rapidly growing oil and gas, transportation, manufacturing and automation sectors. We are learner-centered and committed to delivering curriculum excellence and supporting student success.
Reporting to the Associate Dean, the Academic Chair will lead and strategically manage activities related to the Electrical Apprenticeship Program. You will collaborate on school and institutional initiatives connected to SAIT’s Strategic Plan in the areas of Student Success, Employee Success, Sustainable Growth, Innovation in Applied Education and Partnerships. As a collaborative leader, passionate about faculty, staff and student success, you will provide strong leadership and coordination to develop relevant programming, strong industry contacts and strategies to increase student retention.
Note: This competition is limited to internal SAIT employees only.
- Lead academic excellence in teaching, curriculum, e-learning, credentials, accreditation, articulation, innovation and applied research.
- Optimize the student experience through management of learner satisfaction, enrolment and internationalization/diversity opportunities.
- Ensure that teaching excellence is supported, monitored and measured.
- Empower faculty members to feel passionate about SAIT, providing ongoing support and coaching including fair/transparent performance management.
- Manage administration requirements including timetabling, scheduling instructional staff and overseeing several budgets totaling $6.1 Million.
- Monitor expenses against budget and take appropriate action to maintain program costs within budget.
- Support staff in a variety of student engagement activities: pre-orientation, orientation, program information evenings, student-for-a-day, industry evenings, and graduation.
- Develop relationships with industry and participate in committees such as program advisory and industry sector committees.
- Must possess a minimum Journeyman Trade Certificate (preferably in an electrical discipline). A Bachelor or Master’s degree is also preferred.
- Must have 7-10 years’ related industry experience (preferably in an electrical discipline), with a minimum of 4 years in a supervisory/managerial role in an education or business environment.
- Experience in a faculty or managerial role at a unionized post-secondary educational institute is an asset.
- Experience with curriculum development and delivery is an asset.
- Develop and implement strategies for high employee engagement.
- Superior ability to coach and support new and existing instructors, ensuring that teaching environments are optimal for student success.
- Ability to positively influence and maintain relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Facilitate difficult conversations, assist to resolve conflicts and build a high performing team culture.
- Promote and demonstrate sound leadership practices focusing on quality and service.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Why Work at SAIT:
Enjoy a stimulating work environment, a beautiful campus overlooking downtown Calgary and a great benefits package including: comprehensive health and dental coverage, a defined benefit pension plan, professional development programs, generous paid time off, free access to our Wellness Centre, transit subsidies and more.
Please continue with the online application process through the SAIT careers website or Workopolis.com. Online applications are strongly preferred.
Closing Date: December 15th, 2017 by 11:59 PM MST
If you have any questions about the role please contact email@example.com. Please do not apply to this email address; all applications should be made through our online system.
- SAIT is committed to Employment Equity and invites applications from all qualified applicants
SAIT’s vision is to be a global leader in applied education