Senior Labour Relations Specialist
At the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT), we are the shapers. The makers. The originals, driven by a passion for excellence and impact. We offer action-based learning, solution-focused research and enterprising collaborations with partners from around the world. We are a global leader in applied education, an Alberta Top Employer and a destination workplace for people empowered to make a difference in the lives of students. Now is an exciting time to join this one-of-a-kind place…SAIT.
Employee Services provides strategic leadership in the areas of Human Resources, Total Compensation and Organizational Development. At the fundamental core of SAIT’s vision to be a global leader in applied education are people – SAIT employees transforming the lives of SAIT students. Like the SAIT campus, Employee Services is undergoing significant business transformation. We value innovation, teamwork, a strong work ethic and a positive attitude.
As the Senior Labour Relations Specialist, you are part of a dynamic and fast-paced team that deals with a broad scope of labour relations issues. You will provide value-added services that support the strategic direction of the organization. Reporting to the Labour Relations Manager, you will provide specialist advice and guidance to internal and external clients on the administration and interpretation of institutional policies, programs, and collective agreements. This is your opportunity to make an impactful and positive difference to SAIT and its employees. Become an instrumental part of implementing provincial legislatives changes and apply today.
- Partner with HR and business leaders, and legal counsel on matters proceeding to mediation/arbitration.
- Advise on the interpretation and implementation of collective agreements, employment legislation, labour relations developments, employment standards, and human rights in Alberta.
- Develop and deliver employee and labour relations training programs.
- Co-Chair labour/management meetings.
- Research and develop proposals for settlements and collective bargaining.
- Formulate labour relations priorities that will facilitate the achievement of business goals.
- Encourage and promote positive and effective employee/labour relations and engagement, including contributing to various talent management.
- Represent the organization at grievances, mediations, arbitrations, and collective bargaining.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; maintaining personal networks; participating in recruitment events and professional organizations.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree is required.
- CPHR designation, Alternative Dispute Resolution Certification, and/or a Post-graduate certificate in Human Resource Management or Industrial/Labour Relations are preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in labour relations in a public sector and/or unionized environment is preferred.
Skills and Experience:
- Excellent knowledge of employment related legislation – Employment Standards Act, Labour Relations Code, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Human Rights Code; and jurisprudence.
- Sound judgement and decision making skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to design and implement creative and innovative solutions.
- Strong independent research and investigative skills.
- Proven ability to establish strong working relationships with unions and other stakeholders.
- Must have excellent communication, customer service and teamwork skills.
- Excellent conflict/dispute resolution/mediation skills.
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills; ability to confidently present to executives.
- Intermediate level proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point).
Why Work at SAIT:
Enjoy a stimulating work environment, a beautiful campus overlooking downtown Calgary and a great benefits package including: comprehensive health and dental coverage, a defined benefit pension plan, professional development programs, generous paid time off, free access to our Wellness Centre, transit subsidies and more.
Please continue with the online application process through the SAIT careers website or Workopolis.com. Online applications are strongly preferred.
Closing Date & Time: Open until a suitable candidate is found.
If you have any questions about the role please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not apply to this email address; all applications should be made through our online system.
- SAIT is committed to equity and diversity within its community and invites applications from all qualified applicants
SAIT’s vision is to be a global leader in applied education