Grant Writer (Contract)
Applied Research and Innovation Services (ARIS)
At the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT), we are the shapers. The makers. The originals, driven by a passion for excellence and impact. We offer action-based learning, solution-focused research and enterprising collaborations with partners from around the world. We are a global leader in applied education, an Alberta Top Employer and a destination workplace for people empowered to make a difference in the lives of students. Now is an exciting time to join this one-of-a-kind place…SAIT.
Applied Research and Innovation Services (ARIS) is SAIT’s exciting gateway to innovation and applied research projects for students, faculty and industry partners. ARIS has 40 full-time researchers and staff, and averages 120 applied-research projects a year. Core research areas include pre-commercialization support in green building, clean energy, sports and wellness and RFID-enabled technology development. Support and services offered include: project evaluation and development; technology design, fabrication, prototyping, testing and validation; and access to grant funding.
Reporting to the Senior Grants Coordinator, we are recruiting for a Grant Writer (fixed term or consultant) to prepare funding applications for the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) and Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR). In this role, you will liaise with Tri-Councils – NSERC, SSHR and CIHR-CFI, and all corresponding provincial agencies to maximize funding application chances of success. You are a critical thinker and implementer who makes sound business decisions to support innovation and entrepreneurialism. You are also customer service focused and enjoy upholding stakeholder satisfaction. Look forward to joining one of the Top 3 Research Colleges in Canada – apply today!
Note: This is a temporary, 37.5 hour/week casual position with an immediate start date and end date of December 20, 2017.
- Write funding application content in collaboration with Principal Investigators (PI) including proposals, budget justifications, company profiles and other text.
- Act as a liaison for funding agencies and meet with industry partners and researchers to discuss funding opportunities and applications.
- Collaborate with the Senior Grants Coordinator and Grants Administrator to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the funding process.
- Participate in application submissions: ensure all application deadlines are met; prepare and submit letters of intent (LOI) and full applications; meet with funding agencies to ensure SAIT is aware of all grant funding opportunities.
- Obtain letters of support from private sector partners and others.
- Develop budgets in collaboration with Business Development Managers (BDM), Pl and Financial Analyst (FA).
- Support the preparation of Decision Support Packages (DSP) in advance of internal approval of projects.
- Contribute to the approval process and maintenance of funding agency eligibility.
- Advise on available funding, funding application strategy, and reviewers for funding agencies.
- Coordinate all early stage project management of successful grant application awards in advance of handing off to PI's or other project leads.
- Ensure all funding information is maintained in CRM (Maximizer).
- Minimum of a Master’s degree, preferably in the science or technology field.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in research grant or proposal writing, with a proven track record of success.
- Ability to understand a wide range of technology science and engineering topics.
- Exceptional communication skills, with the ability to write and present thorough and persuasive applications.
- Interpersonal experience developing and managing fruitful relationships with a range of positions across an organization and industry.
- Self-motivated and creative in facilitating innovative developments of applied research and technology to engage students and earned revenue proposals.
- Critical thinker and service-focused, with an ability to identify and fill information gaps.
- Hold a valid Class 5 Alberta driver's license. Current and satisfactory driver’s abstract is required as a condition of employment.
- Willing and able to travel for business trips as needed.
Please continue with the online application process through the SAIT careers website or Workopolis.com. Online applications are strongly preferred.
Closing Date & Time: October 26, 2017 by 11:59 PM MT
Please do not apply to this email address; all applications should be made through our online system.
- SAIT is committed to equity and diversity within its community and invites applications from all qualified applicants
SAIT’s vision is to be a global leader in applied education