Payroll and Benefits Specialist
At the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT), we are the shapers. The makers. The originals, driven by a passion for excellence and impact. We offer action-based learning, solution-focused research and enterprising collaborations with partners from around the world. We are a global leader in applied education, an Alberta Top Employer and a destination workplace for people empowered to make a difference in the lives of students. Now is an exciting time to join this one-of-a-kind place…SAIT.
Employee Services provides strategic leadership in the areas of Human Resources, Total Compensation and Organizational Development. At the fundamental core of SAIT’s vision to be a global leader in applied education are people – SAIT employees transforming the lives of SAIT students. Like the SAIT campus, Employee Services is undergoing significant business transformation. We value innovation, teamwork, a strong work ethic and a positive attitude.
As the Payroll & Benefits Specialist, your primary role is to produce timely and accurate payments to staff and to administer pension and benefit plans. You will act as SAIT’s front line contact in providing information and service in compliance with Collective Agreements, Policies & Procedures, and Federal and Provincial Legislation.
- Provide exceptional customer service; respond to employee and manager payroll/benefits inquiries while promoting and educating on company and legislative processes and practices
- Process payroll for employees in accordance with established collective agreements, policies, project conditions and procedures
- Verify, balance & analyze the payrolls
- Process off-cycle payments (manual cheques)
- Maintain and reconcile attendance (vacation, sick leave and leave without pay)
- Enter and update employee data accurately and in a timely manner while ensuring and improving overall data integrity and consistency
- Contribute to both internal & external audit functions
- Complete records of employment (ROE)
- Back up and support team members
- Calendar Year End & Fiscal Year End processing
- Actively participate in payroll process business improvements by collaborating with internal teams and effectively communicating, documenting and implementing changes
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
- Completion of the Canadian Payroll Association Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) or Certified Payroll Manager (CPM) certification
- Minimum of two years’ experience with complex full cycle payroll consisting of union and non-union payroll and working with large computerized payroll systems for 500+ employees
- Possess thorough knowledge and understanding of contractual agreements, benefit plans, payroll processes & business math
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience with the Banner payroll system
- Must be able to use MS Word and Excel software at an intermediate level
- Must demonstrate attention to detail, accuracy and confidentiality
- Strong ability to be flexible and work well under pressure of deadlines and last minute changes
- Strong analytical skills, ability to detect errors and their source, and take corrective actions are required
- Ability to interpret complex language of government regulations for compliance and communication to others
- Ability to work with little supervision, meet department and individual deadlines and set and adjust priorities frequently and accept numerous interruptions
- Demonstrated excellent customer service, oral and written communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
Why Work at SAIT:
Enjoy a stimulating work environment, a beautiful campus overlooking downtown Calgary and a great benefits package including: comprehensive health and dental coverage, a defined benefit pension plan, professional development programs, generous paid time off, free access to our Wellness Centre, transit subsidies and more.
Please continue with the online application process through the SAIT careers website or Workopolis.com. Online applications are strongly preferred.
Closing Date & Time: open until suitable candidate is found
If you have any questions about the role please contact email@example.com. Please do not apply to this email address; all applications should be made through our online system.
- SAIT is committed to equity and diversity within its community and invites applications from all qualified applicants
SAIT’s vision is to be a global leader in applied education